- Turn off your cell phone, get away from your computer, lock your doors and set a timer for 40 minutes.
- On a simple lined pad of paper, begin writing down everything you need to do. I mean everything. From buy a turkey for Thanksgiving to call a referral you got last week. Write as fast as you can. After about 12 minutes, you’ll feel like you’re done. Lean back in your chair, breath a nice Ahhh…and then wait for the next wave to catch you. Trust me, it will.
- Start writing again. This is a very powerful brain flush. Your brain has been so busy trying to keep track of every detail that you won’t believe the items your conscious has forgotten about that will suddenly come to mind. Write it all down. Enjoy the process and don’t be tempted to end early. Your mind desperately needs to get this information onto paper so you can focus completely here after.
- When the time goes off, take a 10 minute break. Get up and walk. Grab a drink, anything that doesn’t involve concentration.
- Now pick the top project from your list that you need to get done ASAP and schedule a 50-minute power work session for it. Just like before, set aside a time and place where you won’t be interrupted so you can focus completely on the project and get as much done as possible.
- When the alarm goes off, take another physical break. If you need to continue on the same project, repeat the process as soon as your schedule permits. If you’re done, set aside another session to tackle the next project.
- Continue to move down the list as your calendar permits. Even if one session is just a 50-minute time stretch for taking care of those pesky little details in life like going through that stack of mail on the corner of your desk.
That’s it! Follow the process and you’ll be stunned at how much faster your work progresses.
You’ll be spooky fast and that’s a great outfit for Halloween.